Chef Manu Chandra
Manu Chandra is the Chef Partner, responsible for the hugely fun and first of it’s kind Gastropub brand in India- Monkey Bar in Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and Delhi; the trendy Asian Gastro Bar The Fatty Bao in Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi and Bangalore and more recently Toast & Tonic- the East Village inspired International restaurant and bar in Bangalore and Mumbai. He is also Executive Chef of the multi award winning and critically acclaimed Olive Beach in Bangalore.
Manu Chandra’s passion for food surfaced at a young age, wielding the ladle since the age of 12, thanks largely to a foodie family. Later at St. Stephen's College, he wrote, designed and helped photograph a book on fusion cuisine. Manu then enrolled at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) Hyde Park, New York, where he apprenticed with some of the city's top kitchens. Armed with top honours from CIA, he traveled to Norway to work with the Michelin starred Chef Eyvind Hellstrom at Bagatelle.
Late 2004 saw Manu returning to India, where he joined Olive Beach Bangalore. Since then he has received recognition and appreciation from around the world as one of the most talented chefs in the country. Within the short entrepreneurial stint that Manu has enjoyed in partnership with long time colleague Chetan Rampal and serial restaurateur AD Singh, he has met with a joyous response from customers and media alike. He is currently Chef Partner Toast & Tonic, Monkey Bar, The Fatty Bao and Executive Chef Olive Beach.
Awards & Recognitions include:
- 2017 - Awarded Chef of the Year at the Times Food and Nightlife Awards, Bangalore.
- 2015, 2016 & 2017 – Selected by GQ India magazine as one of the 50 Most Influential Young Indians.
- He was featured in ‘40 under 40, Class of 2016’, an exclusive list of India's finest young business leaders by Fortune India magazine.
- 2011 - He was honoured with the Golden Star Award for the Most Admired Chef in India.
- 2007 - Selected as one of the Top 10 Best Young Chefs in the Country by Taste and Travel Magazine.
- 2006 - Featured on India Today's list of Young Achievers.
- He was featured in AmarOne, a book featuring 10 Chefs from around the world, released by Italian wine maker Allegrini to celebrate 60 years of their famed wine.